Welcome to StratObserve
This site is intended to provide realtime plots of polar stratospheric conditions and other related products from the latest forecast data. Click a category from the menu above, and select a product from the dropdown menu.
As of Nov 2018, the plots hosted here are only generated from 00UT forecasts for each 12-hour interval. This is primarily to aid in comparing the GEOS-5 and GFS forecast models, since 10-day forecasts are currently only released for the 00UT run of GEOS-5. The plots should generally be updated by approximately 10AM Eastern each day, but delays are possible due to issues downloading the forecast data.
- 2019-05-08: StratObserve will now be displaying plots for the Southern Hemisphere stratosphere until sometime in November.
- Changed the max windspeed panels in the strat. winds ensemble time series plots to polar cap averaged temperatures; 20181217
- Changed base period for calculating standardized anomalies of eddy heat fluxes from Sep - May to Oct - Apr; 20181215
- Got rid of the "latest" designation in the date dropdown menu so there's no confusion about what forecast date the plots are based on. StratObserve rolls out plots a bit slower than other places, so I don't want "latest" being confused; 20181204
- Added new products, including anomaly time series, and eddy heat flux longitude/pressure
- Updated the 3D vortex plots to use a better polar projection. Also added the ability to rotate the view of the 3D vortex plots (thanks for the suggestion, Michael Ventrice!); 20181120
- Enabled SSL and automatic redirect to https; 20181116
- Fixed bug that prevented viewing multiple vertical levels on Chrome (possibly other browsers); 20181115
- First online; 20181114